VSA (Volunteer Spirit Association)
Laksana Rodtrakul (Tum), President
The Institute for Southern Thai Studies,Yor Island, Songkhla
Remark for Period
Open to 1-2 months participation if the places are not full at 2 months before the starting date.
Name and description of the local host
The officers of The Institute for Southern Thai Studies had high motivation to exchange with international volunteers about culture and language so they asked the international volunteers contribution in their culture seminar activities. The Institute Southern Thai Study is the great museum in the south with fantastic view, located on the hill on Koh Yor island, Songkhla.
Main voluntary work
Volunteer will support the museum, learning Southern Thai culture, receive training to be a guide for tourist visiting and cleaning the antiques in the museum.
Approximate working hours:
Type of building:
- Sleeping: Sharing with other vols.
- Meals: Cooked by vols. & locals
- How and how long to go to work: Stay at working place
- Smoking: Only outside building
- Internet access: Yes.
Songkhla, also known as Singgora or Singora (City on the Mountain), is a city (thesabannakhon) in the Songkhla Province of southern Thailand, near the border with Malaysia. As of 2006, it had a population of 75,048. The city is a part of Greater Hatyai- Songkhla Metropolitan Area.
Despite being smaller than the neighboring city Hat Yai, Songkhla is the capital of Songkhla Province as well as the Mueang Songkhla district (Songkhla Town district). Due to its location at the opening of the big Songkhla lake to the Gulf of Thailand, Songkhla is a fishing town and also an important harbor. It is the major seaport on the east side of the Isthmus of Kra.
Songkhla has a tropical monsoon climate (Köppen climate classification Am). Temperatures are very warm to hot throughout the year with only minor variation. There is a short dry season in February and March; the rest of the year is wet, with especially heavy rainfall from October to December.
- Nearest international airport: Hatyai
- Transportation from the capital or other major city
School visit, Enjoying local life and local festivals.
Qualification for volunteers
Required: Abilities to communicate in English or full intention to try. Open up and love to learn new things and respect in different culture.
Attraction for volunteers
Museum staff and guild, team work, cultural exchange.
Participation fee to the host NGO: 24,000 THB for 3 months (8,000 THB per month)
- On arrival training : 5 days at ICL house (VSA office)
- Special care during Project: Staff visit monthly, AVS coordinator weekly contact, local staff coordinator, Mid-term evaluation at projects places
- Evaluation meeting: Final evaluation at ICL house (VSA office)
- Open to Non-Asian if the places are not full at 2 months before the starting date.
- JAVS (Japan ASEAN Voluntary Service) will be also held in 02/01-04/15 where AVS and JAVS volunteers will work and live together.