SMILE (Situational Management And Inter Learning Establishment society)
Kamala, International Volunteer Coordinator
Madhyamgram, Kolkata, India
Remark for Period
Open to 1-2 months participation (01/01-, 02/01-, 03/01-) if the places are not full on 12/01.
Local/ social situation/ needs for the project
Exciting workcamp at SMILE, India!! Save the mother planet!!! Green House construction project in support of Rain water harvesting to grow vegetable for our street children everyday requirement!! Recently, we just completed the first phase of Rain water harvesting project where Rain water being stored for further use. Now, we are going to start Roof top Green House project at our Building to Grow vegetables to help daily need of our Children at different projects.
Name and description of the local host
SMILE society India.
Aims and expected impact of the project
Aims and expected impacGreen House construction project in support of Rain water harvesting to grow vegetable for our street children everyday requirement!! Recently, we just completed the first phase of Rain water harvesting project where Rain water being stored for further use. Now, we are going to start Roof top Green House project at our Building to Grow vegetables to help daily need of our Children at different projects of the project
Main voluntary work
- Culture exchange
First, we will construct the Green House and go for plantation there after. This project can help to grow organic vegetables and fruits, let’s help us to bring revolution in horticulture and floriculture at our place. There would be painting activities as well as cultural exchange program as well!!
- Approximate working hours: 3-5 hours x 5 days (weekdays) in a week
Type of building: Local family.
- Sleeping: Sharing with other vols.
- Meals: Cooked by vols. & locals
- Smoking: Totally impossible
- Internet access: Wifi 2 hours per weekdays
- Any other points: Follow the local rules, policies, culture, tradition, following in charge.
Madhyamgram, West Bengal,India. Kolkata (ccu), the city of joy, was known before as Calcutta since the colonial time. This ancient city was used to be the capital of British colonial period. This city has full of heart ,people are basically belongs to the middle class. There are also rich and poor people all around. City Kolkata is know for its busy traffic, huge population, warm welcome and poverty around the street corners! It is a great place to visit for every tourist coming to India.
- Nearest international airport: Kolkata airport (ccu), India
- Transportation from the capital or other major city: by air, train
Cultural exchange, language learning, training
Qualification for volunteers
- Required: Ready to get the hands dirty
- Preferable: Open and flexible mind. Should have rabbis vaccination before arriving.
Attraction for volunteers
If anyone get a chance to live with the local host family then that brings extra bonus to any traveller. It helps to learn the culture, tradition, language while staying within the normal people of the society. Living on any hotel can never give any traveller such wide scope to know the society and communities as a whole. SMILE society always tries to give international volunteers a big scope to know about the local communities and understand the family environment.
Participation fee to the host NGO: 840 Euro for 3 months (280 Euro per month)
- On arrival training: 2 days orientation
- Special care during Project: Local guidance at home, project in charge, training
- Evaluation meeting: Every thursday evening .