SJV (Solidarités Jeunesses Vietnam)
Do Thi Phuc, Director
Remark for Period
3 months participation from 02/01, 05/01, 08/01 and 11/01 is possible. Open to 1-2 months participation if the places are not full at 2 months before the starting date.
Local/ social situation/ needs for the project
The Fisher village is a place that consists of more than 40 families live in temporary ragged boats on Red river (one small part of the village is on an island). All of them are extremely poor, have no job in their hometowns. They come to Hanoi to get a job for earning more money for their life, families and children.
SJ Vietnam has run successfully Youth house school project since 2005 with help of hundreds (international & local) volunteers and ETAI group to encourage the children to go to the school regularly for free basic education and nutrition food. We have been increasing their awareness of education which can help them to get a simple job and a better future to ensure their independent living, economic self-sufficiency. The scheme will demonstrate the important role of volunteerism and public-private partnerships for social development.
Since 2009, SJV & NICE started a new, fair-trade type of Eco Sponge Action that several women in Fisher village made 300 sponges and handcrafts all of which were sold in various types of events in Japan by the special team in NICE. We got over 1,000 US$ (plus 3,000 US$ of donation), 50% of surplus (after deducting cost of coordination & materials) was already given to those women; another 50% is used for public project in the village. One lady was collecting rubbish in the market that can generate one US$ in a day more or less, but could start a small shop on the bridge selling tea and snack by the fund she’s got from this project!
Name and description of the local host
Non-formal education for poor and street children at Youth Center in Red river bank in Ha Noi. The project had been launching from 2004 to support for kids who living in beside Red river in Ha Noi. Now all the kids are studying in public school, but SJV is till supporting/ providing the free lunch/ school fee and taking care of them. Therefore the project would need volunteers to be a tutor for kids after school, cooking lunch and maintain the Youth Center with other activities for Vietnamese young people such as English club, workshop, etc.
Aims and expected impact of the project
- Support for kids study in school with good result
- Take care and teach the children living skills
- Create the stage where is place to share, learn and exchange for all international young people
Main voluntary work
- Various work to improve the life conditions of Fisher village such as farming, renovating the roofs, floors and water filters, selling eco sponges the women will have made, etc.
- Various work to help the Youth Center such as Teaching English for kids and English club, Cooking, cleaning, and monitoring Youth center with coordinator and local volunteers
- Organize the workshop, events and leisure activities for kids, students
Approximate working hours: 09:00-16:30 on Mon.-Fri. (with 2 hours of lunch break)
There will be a special workcamp for 2 weeks in March with Japanese volunteers, so you can enjoy to work and exchange with them and are expected to help to run it well!
Type of building: Volunteers room next to the SJV office
- Sleeping: Single room
- Meals: Cooked by locals
- How and how long to go to work:
- Smoking: Only outside building
- Internet access: Yes
- Any other points: Vols. will live with the local people and should orientate themselves.
Ha Noi is in the North of Vietnam. There are 4 seasons: spring, summer, autumn and winter. We will contact with volunteers in detail before they come to their project. There are many place for traveling such as Sapa, Ha Long bay, Mai Chau and Ba Vi are near the project site. The volunteers can travel in the weekend.
- Nearest international airport: Noi Bai international airport
- Transportation from the capital or other major city: You will be picked up to SJ Vietnam office then the coordinator will go to project with you by bus.
Volunteers will join all other events, festival with SJ Vietnam and local people during their time. They are free to travel and discovery culture, beautiful place in Vietnam by themselves.
Qualification for volunteers
- Required: High motivation to work with kids/ Adapt quickly with Vietnamese culture/ Openmind to share and learn new things
- Preferable: Good English is asset
Attraction for volunteers
- Improving interpersonal skills
- Discovering Vietnamese culture in very unique way.
- Understanding about global issues and local action related to poverty, climate change, gender equality, human right.
- Participation fee to the host NGO: 7,500,000 VND per month.
- 6,000,000 VND per month for those coming from less expensive countries where the annual GDP per capita is less than 10,000 US$.
- On arrival training: 2 days in project site after arrival day of volunteers
- Special care during Project: Short report every month with coordinator and evaluate the work weekly with mentor.
- Evaluation meeting: 1 day
- Open to Non-Asian if the places are not full at 2 months before the starting date.
- JAVS (Japan ASEAN Voluntary Service) will be also held in 02/01-04/15 where AVS and JAVS volunteers will work and live together.