VSA (Volunteer Spirit Association)
LaksanaRodtrakul (Tum), President firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 66-08-98789355
VSA Clay House and Ceramics International Learning Center, Muang District, Prachuap Kirikhan
Local/ social situation/ needs for the project
Name and description of the local host
Clay house Learning Centre is the new learning center of VSA studying on social work,
nature and environmental friendly. The aims of new learning center is;
- Living as natural and environmental friendly.
- Learning center for everyone who want to learn how to build and live with natural condition.
- Sharing different living experience as the VSA main aim InterCutural and Language learning
To Build habitat as the Clay house is the low cost living expense which available for
everyone. Also the method is not to complicate and need much cost both money and
knowledge. Clay House also can be built for other purpose such as agriculture (to be
mushroom room, storage tool, etc.), service place etc. As its condition is cooler than bricks house, in Thailand clay house is the significant alternative place for cooler condition avoiding using air-condition.
Aims and expected impact of the project
Setting up of new learning center.
Main voluntary Work
The whole place is originally landscape. There are one hut and toilets. Thus, volunteer will help to build new clay house using for learning center. Learning Hall zone/ Kitchen and eating zone/ Accommodation zone Also helping set up administrative system, administrative tools, accounting, website and documents.
Approximate working hours: 5-6 hours x 5 days in a week
Type of building:
- Sleeping: Sharing with other vols.
- Meals: Cooked by vols. & locals
- How and how long to go to work: Stay at working place
- Smoking: Only outside building
- Internet access: Yes.
Prachuap Khiri Khan is on the coast at one of the narrowest stretches in Thailand, only 10 km (6.2 mi) from the Burmese border at Sing Khon in the Tenasserim Hills. The area has large pineapple and coconut industries, in addition to being popular with Thai tourists. Prachuap Khiri Khan has a tropical savanna climate (Köppen climate classification Aw).Seasons are not as distinct as in more northerly parts of Thailand; temperatures are quite similar throughout the year and the dry and wet seasons are not as clearly defined, with appreciable rain falling in all months. However, in general the months from December to April are drier with about 45 millimeters (1.8 in) in each month, while October and November are the wettest months with over 200 millimeters (7.9 in) each. The other months, from May to September, have an intermediate level of rainfall around 100 millimeters (3.9 in).
- Nearest international airport:
- Transportation from the capital or other major city: From Bangkok;
By train: There are six trains to Prachuapkirikhan Train station each day that takes about 7 hours. For more info.,
By Bus: Daily buses to Prachuapkhrikhun take about 5 hours.
- School visit, playing with kids
- Enjoying local life and local festivals
Qualification for volunteers
- Required: Abilities to communicate in English or full intention to try. Open up and love to learn new things and respect in different culture.
Attraction for volunteers
Living with nature, sufficiency life, build the clay house, team work
- Fee to be paid for the full period: 24,000 Baht (729 US$ as of 2014 Feb. 02) or 600 Euro for 3 months that means 8,000 Baht (242 US$) or 200 Euro per month.
- Pocket money to be paid for the full period: None
- On arrival training : Apr. 1st-5th at ICL house (VSA office)
- Special care during Project: Staff visit monthly, AVS coordinator weekly contact, local staff coordinator, Mid-term evaluation at projects places
- Evaluation meeting: Final evaluation at ICL house (VSA office)
This project is hard work need strong encouragement. Also welcome any idea for new
center set up management.