Health, hygiene & sanitation education (HEL, EDU)
|Code||Name of Project||Location||Date||Type||Total Vols.||Male||Female||Age|
|VINWC19-14||Health, hygiene & sanitation education||Okhaldhunga||13 – 24 July 2019||HEL, EDU||14||7||7||18+|
Background/Project: Okhaldhunga, District of the Himalayas – This small paradise on the earth is in the Everest Region. It is located in Sagarmatha zone in the North-East part of Nepal. Okhaldhunga is one of the most beautiful places in Nepal. If Okhaldhunga is viewed with sacred vision, it has numerous sights which are fascinating. VIN’s Project site (Taluwa, Bhadaure and Thulachhap communities) is on the South-East part from the district headquarter, Okhaldhunga. From Kathmandu, bus route is about 250 km which is a rough trip that takes one day (9-12 hrs). In Okhaldhunga, VIN implements integrated approach to community development.
Because of the geographical situation, it has limited developmental activities and facilities. Unlike Kathmandu, Okhaldhunga has numbers of illiterate people.
- To involve the children and sensitize them about Health Hygiene and Sanitation issues.
- To help develop the skills personal hygiene, sanitation, nutrition, etc.
Work / activities:
- Conducting awareness campaign related with hygiene and sanitation in various schools
- Trash collection around the school area
Location: Okhaldhunga district which is 250 km from Kathmandu. It takes one-day travel by bus. A hilly and mountainous region surrounded by woods and fields.
Placement Support Process: The first day is arrival day and each volunteer is greeted and received by VIN local staff at the airport and taken to VIN hostel / hotel. The first day is the arrival day. The second day volunteers will receive a full day orientation at VIN office in Kathmandu. The placement orientation will cover, cultural tips, survival phrases on Nepali language, health tips, and project activities preparation and about VIN. Then you will travel to Okhaldhunga, project site which takes minimum 8 hrs drive. You will be always guided by a Nepali camp leader/VIN staff and VIN supervisors will visit you time to time for follow up support. Should you have any concerns on the work camp, you may always call us for immediate help. You will again travel to Kathmandu from Okhaldhunga the second last day of the work camp. Before or after the work camp, we will take you a half day sight-seeing to cultural heritage sites. On the last day of the work camp, you will submit a detailed work report, fill up an exit form and sit with VIN executives for exit interview and feedback session.
Accommodation/food: The volunteers will stay in Kathmandu for two nights until orientation. VIN covers two nights’ accommodation in twin sharing basis and provides lunch in its office on the orientation days. Then they will be with the host family/hostel identified by VIN in Okhaldhunga. The living facilities are simple and basic. Male and female Volunteers will share the same living area with separate rooms. There will be 2-4 persons in one room. Volunteers are required to sleep on the simple beds. Please bring your sleeping bag. When they are in the city after the evaluation, they are required to cover food and accommodation themselves.
Language: Basic English should be spoken among participants
Participation Fee: The participation fee 200 Euros (+60 Euro for Transportation), which is to be paid on your arrivals at VIN Office.
Why Okhaldhunga and extra transportation fee:
- Beautiful Himalayan region close to Mt. Everest.
- Lacks development and basic infrastructure.
- Very needy local area waiting for development.
- Welcoming community and rich in culture.
- Simple life style and smiling people.
- Lovely environment and up and down hills.
- Takes one day (250 km) by jeep or bus, both rough and paved drive from Kathmandu.
- Enough support from local staff and community people.
- Volunteers will fill they have really contributed for needy and poor community.
The Participation Fee Covers:
- Food and Accommodation: Nepali Standard at a local host family – 3 meals a day
- Two nights’ hotel accommodation in Kathmandu upon arrival in budget standard in twin sharing basis
- Transportation: Airport pick- up and pick up and drop to the working community site
- Materials for the work-camp, community development projects support
- Local volunteer support cost
- VIN T-shirt and certificate of participation
- 24 hours’ emergency support
- VIN admin cost
Airfare, VISA, Travel medical insurance, return airport transfer, entrance fees on the world heritage sights, Personal travel and weekend activities expenses etc.
Meeting point: VIN staff will pick each volunteer from the airport. The volunteers are requested to send their flight details to VIN on time so that we can send our staff with your name card and VIN’s Logo.
If you want to come earlier and explore the country more, you may find pre-paid taxi at the airport or VIN may help you on that.
Airport : Tribhuwan International Airport, Kathmandu
Leisure Activities: VIN also organizes travel tours like Chitwan Jungle Safari, Pokhara, Nagarkot on extra costs if you are interested after your work camp.
(The detail info sheet and acceptance letter will be sent from VIN after we receive your Complete Volunteer Exchange Form from the sending organization)