Volunteer Travel TourProgram Fees
At VIN we understand that you might only have a short time in Nepal. You are keen to volunteer but you want to experience the country’s rich culture, history and geography. If your stay here is limited to two or three weeks, the Volunteer Travel Tour project is designed for you.
From the jungle of Terai to the spectacular wildlife of Chitwan National Park and upwards to the Himalayas, Nepal is a melting pot of landscapes, biodiversity and ethnicity, with enlisted 122 ethnic groups and more than 122 languages. While the pervading religion here is Hinduism, Nepal is also one of the spiritual and physical homes of Buddhism. You get chance to experience all these during your volunteer travel tour.
During your volunteer / internship placement, there are many projects to become involved with. Help to encourage learning amongst children three to five, in one of our Early Child Education centres or work with older children, teaching English or giving life skills training in one of our Children’s Clubs, you might want to work with the women of the community or do something different altogether, retreating to a monastery to teach English to Buddhist monks . You may choose what interest you the most, VIN will try to match your choice based on the need and availability of the placement.
Then, explore Kathmandu and its sister towns, taking in temples and stupas before heading to the hillside settlement of Nagarkot to watch sunset to Sun rise. Spend two nights in Chitwan National Park, where you might see a one horn rhino, gharial or even see a tiger.
VIN’s overriding objective is the empowerment of marginalised communities, with a focus on women and children. We have been working at the outskirt of Kathmandu valley – Tarkeshor Municipality 12km from Kathmandu, since 2007. VIN has also been working in Taluwa, Thulachhap and Bhaduare of Okhaldhunga district in the Everest region, 250km east of Kathmandu since 2012 and Okharpouwa of Nuwakot district since 2015. Although you will only be with us for a little while, your time, skill, network and placement fee will help to support our ongoing projects of women’s empowerment, public health and medical care, youth empowerment, children’s development, environment conversation and disaster response and relief in these communities.
VIN have a range of community development programs for you to become involved with, plus several outside the community projects. Please consider whether you would rather work with young children, school age or perhaps women or simply hands on activities like construction, painting? Our programs run irrespective of volunteer availability, so it is always possible to lend extra support.
The travel tour part of the project can be done during the weekends or at the end of your volunteering project depending on the schedule of other volunteers working in that period. Your travel tour experience will involve sight-seeing, safari and hiking. Here is a closer look:
- Sight-seeing of ‘sister’ cities, Kathmandu, Lalitpur and Bhaktpur, of Kathmandu valley, the world cultural heritages, Buddhist stupas -Baudhanath and Swyambhunath, Hindu temples – Pashupatinath, Changunarayan / Bajrayogini, Darbar Squares – Kathmandu, Patan & Bhaktpur.
Note- You may choose any 3 of the above sites for the sight-seeing. Two for a half day by default every volunteer wil be taken while the program induction / orientation. In addition, you will be taken to a site during or after the volunteering placement – We usually recommend to Bhakapur Darbar Square so that the volunteer can make in one go on the way to Nagarkot and save time. The entrance fees for these sites are not included on the package price. Click here to learn the entrance fees
- A half day village hike: You will be taken a half day village tour to Tarkeshor municipality by our staff or local volunteers. This is the community VIN works since 2017. You will have opportunity to walk through hills, fields, woods and authentic rural community life, and also see VIN’s projects at schools, early childhood development centers, women’s clubs etc. You will be taken to the site using local public transportation so that you experience local life!
- One night two days Tour from Bhaktpur-Nagarkot-Sankhu-Kathmandu – Visit Nagarkot or Dhulikhel for beautiful mountain views from Sunrise to Sunset and hike 3 to 8 hours (depending which destination you choose Nagarkot to Bhaktpur takes 8 hours of trekking and Nagarkot to Sankhu takes 3 hours of trekking) through the hills, fields and woods
- Two night 3 days Jungle safari – Two nights, three days jungle Safari to Chitwan National Park – South of Kathmandu Valley, approximately 200 km away, Chitwan is famous for wildlife and jungle safari. The bus ride takes a minimum of 6 hours. You will have opportunity to see a variety of wildlife such as tiger, One horn Rhino, elephant, gharial, deer and many other species including a variety of birds.
VIN also offers other travel tour packages for tis volunteers in an affordable price. One of the must do travel tour is Pokhara. Pokhara is 200 km west of Kathmandu, famous for its lakes, mountains, falls, caves, and as the gateway to the great Annapurna treks. Contact us for the customized itinerary and prices.
- Day 1: Leave for Bhaktapur at around 11 or 12 Visit Bhaktapur Durbar Square (optional) and stay night at hotel in Nagarkot.* You can enjoy beautiful sunset if whether is clear.
- Day 2 : After bre Day 2: Observe beautiful sun rise from Nagarkot. After breakfast you will begin your hike either to Dhulikhel or Sankhu.Our driver will be waiting you at the end of your hike.
- Transportation by car
- 1 Dinner and 1 Breakfast and packed lunch in Nagarkot Hotel
- Customized hiking
- Guide during hiking
- Hotel accommodation and transportation in Kathmandu before and after the trips
- Entrance fees for the above mentioned sites – Click here to learn the entrance fees
- Lunch on the way
- Or any other personal expense
On your arrival at Chitrasari, Tadi or Bharatpur Airport the hotel staff will receive you. You will then be transferred to the hotel where you will be offered refreshment; a briefing of facilities & program. Then you will be allocated room.
14.00: Lunch (depending what time you arrive by the bus)
15.00: Tour to a nearby ethnic Tharu village where you will learn more about the life and lifestyle of the Tharus. Visit to the National Park Visitor’s centre where you can learn more about the history of the National Park and about wildlife & Sun set view from the bank of Rapti River.
19.00: Tharu Cultural Dance Presentation (which you will also participate in) by the Local Villagers or Slide Show Presentation on almost everything under the Chitwan.
20.00: Dinner and free time
06.00: Wake up call.
07.00: Canoe ride along the Rapti River. An excellent opportunity for Bird Watching and for seeing the 2 rare species of Crocodiles; the Marsh Mugger and the fish eating Gharial. + Jungle Walk + on the way back one can enjoy the Elephant bathing.
15.00: Elephant Safari. An excellent opportunity to see four different kinds of Deer, Rhinoceros, Wild Boar, Monkey, Leopard, Sloth Bear and the Royal Bengal Tiger (If you are lucky). You will also encounter many other smaller mammals that have made Chitwan their home.
19.00: Tharu Cultural Dance presentation or Slides Show Presentation.
08:00: Wakeup call
07:00: Visit to the Government Elephant Breeding Centre.
10:00: Departure for onward journey.